Label freezer-safe resealable bags of any size with the date in permanent marker. Divide the cooked and dried spinach among the labeled bags, filling approximately 2/3 of the way up. Roll the bags up, pressing out as much air as possible and seal. Freeze for up to 3 months.
How do you preserve boiled spinach?
Another way to freeze spinach is to puree it with water and freeze in ice cube trays. After cubes freeze solid, toss them in a freezer bag. Spinach cubes are the perfect addition to green smoothies. Or try tossing spinach cubes into sauces or stews.
How do you store spinach after cooking?
Just pick out any icky leaves, place the fresh spinach leaves in a Ziploc freezer bag, squeeze out as much air as possible, and place it in the freezer. It doesn’t get much easier! You can also puree and freeze your spinach.
Can sauteed spinach be frozen?
You cannot freeze spinach and expect to use it in a salad or for other recipes where it needs to be fresh and whole. There is some loss of nutrients with blanching, but freezing spinach at the peak of freshness is still healthier than eating out of season spinach trucked in from 1,500 miles away.
Does spinach lose nutrients when cooked?
Since spinach loses so much volume when it’s cooked, a cup of cooked spinach contains a lot more of the leafy vegetable, which may more than make up for the loss of water-soluble vitamins. Generally speaking, boiling has the harshest effect on heat-sensitive nutrients.
What is the best way to freeze fresh spinach?
How to Freeze Spinach
- Wash your greens, pat or spin dry in a salad spinner.
- Place the leaves in flat layers inside freezer bags and press down.
- When the bags are full, squeeze out all the air, tie the bags up and place them in the freezer.
What do you do with spinach that goes bad?
11 Ways to Use Up That Bag of Spinach Before It Goes Bad
- Sauces and Dips. Avocado Spinach Artichoke Dip. Share on Pinterest. …
- Soups and Salads. Creamy Broccoli Spinach Soup With Greek Yogurt. Share on Pinterest. …
- Breakfast. Morning Green Smoothie. Share on Pinterest. …
- Lunch and Dinner. Paleo and Whole30 Spinach Quiche.
Can you freeze spinach in a plastic container?
Stuff the spinach into freezer-safe bags.
Squeeze or suck as much air from the bags as possible before sealing them. While you can technically use freezer-safe plastic containers instead of bags, doing so increases the risk of freezer burn since you won’t be able to remove the excess air.
Do you thaw frozen spinach before cooking?
– For best results, thaw frozen spinach in its package in the refrigerator as much as two days ahead or for several hours at room temperature. … – Short of thawing spinach in advance, the microwave oven does a good last-minute job, but do not cook it, just defrost it.
Can you cook frozen spinach?
An icy package of blanched greens may not be the sexiest vegetable, but when it comes to convenience and helping in the struggle to add greens to every meal, frozen spinach wins. Here’s what you need to know to make the most of this freezer staple.