Lay out the bacon strips without overlapping in a cold pan. This helps the fat render slowly, for consistently cooked strips. 3: Cook over medium heat — again, good for even rendering. Turn the strips as needed until they reach the desired crispness, 8 to 12 minutes.
How long does it take to cook bacon in a cast iron skillet?
Make sure the slices do not overlap. Place skillet over medium heat and cook until the bacon starts to brown on one side. Use tongs to flip the bacon. Continue to cook the bacon, flipping occasionally to prevent burning, until cooked to your liking (8 to 12 minutes from cold pan to finish).
How long do you cook each side of bacon?
Heat a cast-iron or other heavy skillet over medium heat. When hot, add bacon strips in a single layer. Cook until browned on bottom, 3 to 4 minutes. Flip bacon, using tongs, and cook until browned on both sides, about 2 minutes.
How do you cook bacon in an iron skillet?
- Lay the bacon in the cold cast iron pan so that the bacon isn’t touching.
- Place the pan over medium heat.
- Let the bacon slowly heat and cook as the pan heats for about 10 minutes. …
- Turn the bacon over and increase the heat to medium-high.
How do you tell when pan fried bacon is done?
Frying the Bacon
You can gently lift the edges as the bacon starts to brown on the first side, but don’t lift it or force it until it releases. Then turn the bacon, This whole process should take about 10 minutes for thinly sliced bacon, or up to 15 minutes or so for thick-sliced bacon.
Is it OK to fry eggs in bacon grease?
* If you’re frying up some bacon or have some bacon grease, you can substitute it in place of the butter for even tastier fried eggs. However, bacon grease will not go through butters visual changes that you can use to judge the pan’s heat. * A nonstick skillet is critical in ensuring an easy release of the eggs.
Is it OK to cook bacon in a cast iron skillet?
One of the best ways to cook bacon on the stovetop is with a cast-iron skillet or frying pan. Non-stick isn’t necessary for cooking bacon on a skillet because as the bacon releases fat, it creates a slippery coating, which allows the bacon to slide around and be turned over.
Where do u cook bacon?
How to Bake Bacon in the Oven
- Place a wire rack in a 15×10-inch baking pan. …
- Place bacon strips in a single layer on rack.
- Bake at 350° to desired degree of crispiness, 20-30 minutes. …
- Use tongs to remove bacon strips from wire rack.
- Pour off grease into a heat-safe container.
- Place rack and pan in dishwasher.
Can you eat raw bacon?
Eating raw bacon can increase your risk of foodborne illnesses, such as toxoplasmosis, trichinosis, and tapeworms. Therefore, it’s unsafe to eat raw bacon.
Is it better to cook bacon fast or slow?
Bacon cooks best slowly over low heat, so turn your burner on low. Soon the bacon will begin to release some of its fat. When it starts to buckle and curl, use the tongs to loosen the strips and turn each slice to cook on the other side. Keep flipping and turning the bacon so that it browns evenly.
Can you leave bacon grease in a cast iron skillet?
Part of caring for your cast iron skillet is seasoning it to keep the surface smooth and to give it a non-stick sheen. Although you can use oil or shortening to season your cast iron skillet, bacon grease works just as well.
Can you use bacon grease to season a cast iron skillet?
To season a cast iron pan, preheat the oven to 300°F. … Using a cloth or paper towel, coat the pan with about 1 tablespoon of vegetable shortening, lard, or bacon grease. (Don’t use vegetable oil—it creates a coating that feels sticky.)