One of the best ways to cook bacon on the stovetop is with a cast-iron skillet or frying pan. Non-stick isn’t necessary for cooking bacon on a skillet because as the bacon releases fat, it creates a slippery coating, which allows the bacon to slide around and be turned over.
How do you cook bacon in a cast iron skillet?
- Lay the bacon in the cold cast iron pan so that the bacon isn’t touching.
- Place the pan over medium heat.
- Let the bacon slowly heat and cook as the pan heats for about 10 minutes. …
- Turn the bacon over and increase the heat to medium-high.
How long does it take to cook bacon in a cast iron skillet?
Make sure the slices do not overlap. Place skillet over medium heat and cook until the bacon starts to brown on one side. Use tongs to flip the bacon. Continue to cook the bacon, flipping occasionally to prevent burning, until cooked to your liking (8 to 12 minutes from cold pan to finish).
Can you leave bacon grease in a cast iron skillet?
Moisture is the enemy. Not properly drying your cast iron can cause it to rust. So after rinsing, dry it well and place it on the stove-top over low heat. Allow to dry for a few minutes, then use a cloth or paper towel to rub it with a little shortening, lard, bacon grease, or vegetable oil.
Is it OK to fry eggs in bacon grease?
* If you’re frying up some bacon or have some bacon grease, you can substitute it in place of the butter for even tastier fried eggs. However, bacon grease will not go through butters visual changes that you can use to judge the pan’s heat. * A nonstick skillet is critical in ensuring an easy release of the eggs.
Why are eggs sticking to my cast iron?
Mighty Nest lists the three most common reasons why your eggs may be getting stuck: Your cast iron skillet isn’t seasoned enough, there’s not enough fat, or you have the pan over the wrong heat temperature. During the preheat stage, the pan should be over medium-high heat.
Do eggs stick to cast iron?
Cast iron pans aren’t super smooth, instead they have a lot of tiny crevices and roughness on the surface. Little bits of an egg can sit in these pores, it’s a physical process. It probably won’t sink in very deep, but it’s enough to prevent your egg from sliding over the surface smoothly.
What heat do you cook bacon on?
1: Line a rimmed baking sheet with foil or parchment paper, and lay out as many bacon strips as will fit snuggly without overlapping. 2: Place in a cold oven. Then heat the oven to 400 degrees F and bake to desired crispness, 25 to 35 minutes.
How long dies it take to cook bacon?
Bake until the bacon is deep golden-brown and crispy, about 14 minutes for regular bacon and 18 minutes for thick-cut bacon. Exact baking time will depend on the thickness of the bacon and how crispy you like it. Begin checking the bacon after 12 minutes.
Do you clean cast iron after every use?
1. Clean cast-iron skillet after every use. Wipe interior surface of still-warm skillet with paper towels to remove any excess food and oil. Rinse under hot running water, scrubbing with nonmetal brush or nonabrasive scrub pad to remove any traces of food.
Do you wash cast iron after cooking bacon?
Cast iron conducts heat evenly, which makes it ideal for frying bacon and other foods; just be sure to clean it after you’re done. Scrape the cooled bacon grease into the trash can. Put the pan into the sink and add a dime-sized drop of dish soap to the pan.
Should you oil cast iron after every use?
You don’t need much oil to season a cast iron skillet. As a general rule of thumb, you need enough oil to grease the cooking surface nice and evenly before wiping any excess oil away with a paper towel. And you can use any oil you cook with on a daily basis, as long as it has a smoke point that’s high enough.