How do you reduce fat content in baked dishes?
1. Reduce the amount of fat, sugar and salt
- Fat. For baked goods, use half the butter, shortening or oil and replace the other half with unsweetened applesauce, mashed banana or prune puree. …
- Sugar. Reduce the amount of sugar by one-third to one-half. …
Does baking food reduce calories?
There’s possible good news if you’re counting calories: Research from the University of British Columbia suggests calories from sugar can be lost during the baking process, so what’s shown on a food label may not reflect the calories consumed.
How do you reduce fat in a cake?
Cut the Fat in Cakes and Muffins
For cakes and muffins, use applesauce or a fruit puree, such as pureed prunes, in place of some or all of the butter or oil. (You can use fruit purees in cookie recipes, but it is usually not as successful.) As a general rule, use half applesauce and half fat.
How do I reduce calories in bread?
Simply stick with skinny slices made with fiber-rich whole grains; we love Dave’s Killer Bread Thin-Sliced. Sprouted grain breads like the Ezekiel line by Food For Life are also a good choice. (These taste best when toasted!) For even lower calorie counts, reach for light bread like Sara Lee Delightful.
What are three ways to reduce fat in a recipe?
14 Simple Ways to Reduce Saturated Fat
- Eat more fruits and vegetables.
- Eat more fish and chicken. …
- Eat leaner cuts of beef and pork, and trim as much visible fat as possible before cooking.
- Bake, broil, or grill meats; avoid frying. …
- Use fat-free or reduced-fat milk instead of whole milk.
What are the healthy cooking methods?
Healthy cooking methods include:
- Steam, bake, grill, braise, boil or microwave your foods.
- Modify or eliminate recipes that include butter or ask you to deep fry or sauté in animal fat.
- Avoid added oils and butter; use non-stick cookware instead.
- Don’t add salt to food as it is cooking.
Do calories change after baking?
Yes, the calorie count of a food item changes when it is cooked, but the method of cooking also plays a major role in it. The calorie count alters depending on how you are cooking it – whether you are boiling it or stir-frying.
Does baking something increase calories?
Harvard scientists responsible for the research, found that cooking food increases the amount of energy or calories that it provides to your body.
Can I reduce butter in cake?
In general, the following foods work best as butter replacements in cakes, muffins, cookies, brownies, and quick breads: Applesauce. Applesauce significantly reduces the calorie and fat content of baked goods.
What are examples of fat substitutes?
Examples of common fat substitutes include fat-based sucrose polyesters such as olestra (Olean™), esterified propoxylated glycerol, fatty acid esters of sorbitol, and sorbitol anhydrides (Sorbestrin) (Table 1).
Is homemade bread high in calories?
Compared to other foods like fruits and vegetables, bread is relatively low in essential nutrients. It is rather high in calories and carbs but low in protein, fat, fiber, vitamins and minerals.