|Cooking method||Food types|
|Frying||Meat, fish, eggs, vegetables|
|Baking||Bread, biscuits, pastry, cakes|
|Boiling||Rice, pasta, vegetables, pulses|
|Grilling||Meats, fish, vegetables, fruits, bread|
Why do we cook our food?
The process of cooking food breaks down some of its fibers and plant cell walls, making it easier for the body to digest and absorb the nutrients ( 17 ). Cooking also generally improves the taste and aroma of food, which makes it much more enjoyable to eat.
How do you cook your food?
Healthy cooking methods include:
- Steam, bake, grill, braise, boil or microwave your foods.
- Modify or eliminate recipes that include butter or ask you to deep fry or sauté in animal fat.
- Avoid added oils and butter; use non-stick cookware instead.
- Don’t add salt to food as it is cooking.
Why do we cook food give 5 reasons?
It makes food more appetizing and palatable. It makes food easier to digest. It makes food safe to eat. Cooking destroys many harmful micro-organisms or germs in the food.
How do you cook food safely?
- Cook food properly – to at least 75 °C or hotter.
- Use a thermometer to check the temperature of cooked foods.
- If you use a microwave, check that the food is cooked evenly throughout.
- Cook foods made from eggs thoroughly.
- Cool and store cooked food as soon as possible.
- Reheat food until steaming hot.
What are high risk foods?
Examples of high-risk foods include: cooked meat and fish. gravy, stock, sauces and soup. shellfish. dairy products such as milk, cream and soya milk.
What is the most healthy way to cook food?
Steaming and boiling
Moist-heat cooking methods, such as boiling and steaming, are the healthiest ways to prepare meats and produce because they’re done at lower temperatures.
What are some examples of food that can be boiled?
1.5 Examples of foods which might be cooked by boiling – stocks (beef, mutton, chicken, fish) – sauces (brown, white, curry) – glazes (fish, meat) – soup (tomato, lentil) – farinaceous (pasta) – fish (cod, salmon) – meat (beef, leg of mutton) – vegetables (carrots, cabbage, potatoes).
Is boiling food healthy?
Boiling results in the greatest loss of nutrients, while other cooking methods more effectively preserve the nutrient content of food. Steaming, roasting and stir-frying are some of the best methods of cooking vegetables when it comes to retaining nutrients ( 12 , 13 , 14 , 15 ).